507 Rutland Avenue
1935 Arts and Craft Bungalow
When Olin and Lavenchia Ridling purchased this home in 1938, no one believed they would be the sole owners for 60 years. Olin was just 42 years young when he purchased the 2 bedroom, 1 bath, 1000 square-foot bungalow. He enjoyed ownership until his passing just a few months shy of his 103 birthday. Having no children of their own, the house was trusted to their niece in 1998 where her family resided until 2001.
In 2003, the original bathroom fixtures and flooring were removed and new tile was installed in the shower and tub area. The shower was kept in tact due to its uniquely curved frame, a detail typical of the Arts and Crafts bungalow.
It is this originality and charm that caught the attention of the current owner who purchased the house in June 2005. When she walked into the hallway and saw the curved inlet where the telephone once rested, she was immediately reminded of her beloved grandmother’s home in San Francisco. In fact, the two houses share some of the same characteristics: rounded archways, small kitchen, and cove ceilings in the front entryway, dining and living rooms. The ceiling in the living room must have suffered some damage during past earthquakes for the plaster has several patch lines.
The spacious living room once intended to be the central gathering area of the bungalow house is still such the case today. The fireplace is fully functioning.
The dining room and front entryway display original light fixtures and the built-in hutch in the dining room is also original and typical of bungalows. On the wall with two windows just under the wooden railing is a small metal door. This was where the Ridlings would place their empty milk bottles waiting for the milkman to replace them with full ones.
All windows and screens are original, some showing their age more than others. Each opens up by a rope pulley system, designed by the Davidson Company.
The kitchen has seen only a few changes over the years. Several layers of linoleum were removed and replaced with tile in 2005. In order to accommodate a larger refrigerator, two walls were shortened by three feet. During this minor renovation, the original ceramic stove pipe was discovered and removed. The wall must have been installed to cover up the pipe, since its removal was quite messy. An interesting detail is the lone thin cupboard door on the wall opposite the range. Behind the door is a built-in ironing board, another reminder that bungalows were all about making the most of limited spaces.
Just off the kitchen is the laundry room, and the large rectangular linoleum patch is the door that leads to a basement. The wooden shelves once housed jars of peaches and jams from the tree in the yard, and are now filled with boxes of the current owner’s cherished memories.