315 Mayellen Avenue
1922 Arts and Craft Bungalow
The County records show this house at 315 Mayellen Avenue as being built in 1925, but the San Jose Directory lists the home 3 years earlier, in 1922. It was first occupied by George B. Leaman who was later joined by Carmen in 1929. George was a chauffeur, a salesman, a vulcanizer, a consulting engineer, and auto mechanic. Ownership of the home remained in the Leaman family for several decades. Originally the address was only the number 5, but in 1941, it officially became 315.
The house is a 1,080 square foot frame construction with stucco exterior, and sits on a 6,570 square foot lot. Features include built-in book cases on either side of the fireplace, built-in buffet with glass door cabinets and original mirror, inset living room ceiling, fir wood floors, and many of the original doors window frames, and moldings. Oak parquet floors were laid over the fir plans in three rooms sometime later. A summer room was later enclosed and listed as a “bonus” room when the house was last on the market. In the early 1960s it appears the home became rental property with a turnover of tenants every few years.
When Ms. Dancer purchased the home in the fall of 1981, it had deteriorated significantly, including the yard, where a large area in the back had been used for dumping. Over the years, repairs, major clean-ups, and improvements were made. In the summer of 2003 the home went through an extensive renovation. The majority of the work went into the foundation to repair termite damage and to replace a portion of the foundation removed when a former tenant dug a root cellar. The bathroom was renovated to capture the style of the earlier era. New cabinets were added to the kitchen complementing the original design. The original dirt floor garage, due to extensive deterioration, was replaced by a new structure.